Finding Your Physician
Once you’re settled into your new home in Las Vegas, it’s important that you select a doctor for you and your family. Here are a few ideas and suggestions to help you begin the process.
Steps to Finding a Physician
1. Speak with your company’s human resources (HR) department and ask about health care insurance.
2. Talk to family, friends, neighbors, co-workers or professionals about their own physicians. Find out what they like best and least about their doctors.
3. Speak with doctor referral services offered by local hospitals. Use your best judgement if they refer you to only doctors in their hospital without letting you know about the quality of care provided.
4. In Clark County, visit the Clark County Medical Society website at www.clarkcountymedical.org. Click on "Members" to find a physician by name or specialty.
5. The State of Nevada Board of Medical Examiners (www.medboard.nv.gov) will allow you to search medical practitioners within the state. Here you can verify that a medical doctor, physician assistant or practitioner of respiratory care has a state medical license. If you have questions, call them at (888) 890-8210. For inquiries about a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine), call the Nevada State Board of Osteopathic Medicine at (702) 732-2147.
6. The American Medical Association at www.ama-assn.org offers you a "DoctorFinder" service to provide you with basic information on every licensed doctor in the U.S. You can search by doctor name, location or specialty.
7. Be sure the doctor is board–certified. All U.S. board-certified physicians are listed with the American Board of Medical Specialties (www.abms.org) or call (866) 275-2267.
Physician Referral Services – Las VegasEach of the hospitals below provides a physician referral service.
|Desert Springs Hospital||Mountain View Hospital|
|(702) 369-7505||(702) 233-5474|
|St. Rose Dominican Hospitals||Southern Hills Hospital|
|(702) 616-4508||(702) 880-2700|
|Summerlin Hospital||Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center|
|(702) 388-4888||(702) 233-5454|
|Valley Hospital||University Medical Center|
|(702) 388-4888 or (800) 879-0980||(702) 383-2060|
|Sunrise Children's Hospital||Centennial Hills Hospital|
|(702) 233-5437 (KIDS)||(702) 388-4888|
|Spring Valley Hospital|